Thursday, December 12, 2013

Such a Quiet School

12/9
Well, this morning I only had 5 students.  Three of these students have been consistently coming to school since after National Day.  Today was slightly different in that I had to take the neighboring teacher's class for English.  It was nice to teach more students and students that weren't mine.  Both the classes together didn't really mix well, the visiting students were good listeners and worked well at their centers, however my students thought it was a free for all.  After teaching them English, Amani took both classes for Arabic and Islam. 
12/10
This morning I arrived at school to see a parent pull up to the school with their child, a bus mom go up to that parent and tell him to take his son home.  So, there were no kids today.  I had heard from other teachers that the Cycle One school in Mirfa wouldn't have kids today and usually when that happens, the same goes for our school.  I came prepared today, my laptop, DVDs, and Uno.  We did have a meeting where our principal talked for about 2 hours and never paused to really let the translator translate, so I am not quite sure what the meeting was about.  The only thing I got out of it was that during recess time, the students aren't allowed to run around and have free play with whomever and whatever they want.  Instead they are to have structured play.  EXCUSE ME?!?!?  These kids are made to sit on the carpet and then in a chair ALL day and the one 15 minute break they do get to play, they aren't even allowed to do that, because that makes total sense.  My blood started to boil when this was translated, but I didn't say anything.  They will need to learn that sometimes you may have a really great idea, but it isn't always the best for the kids.  After our holiday break, we will see how this works out.  I was cautioned not to mention to them that I taught PE for this age because then I would be completely in charge of everything for the structured play.  I honestly wouldn't mind it if they would provide proper equipment and the Arabic teachers would be there to translate to the kids.  They lost their PE teacher this year, and that is something they really need.  When I take my kids into playground, which is just for my class in the play area, I take one of those hipity hop balls and kick it for them to chase after and they bring it back to me.  This activity goes on for 20 mins and they never stop.  Boy are they slightly tired after that, and they love it!  We shall see if I decide to let them know I can help with the structured play.  I do however want to help on sports day which apparently we will have in Term 2, at the park in town.  Now THAT I can do, hello Field Day! 
12/11
No kids again today, today was one of the best days of having no kids we have had.  I brought Uno again, and this time we played for a few hours.  It cracks me up how teachers get SO competitive at simple games, it's as if we take on our students' behaviors while playing games.  I also introduced all the EMTs to HEADSUP!  Oh my goodness, did we have a blast!  I have been wanting to play this with them since I arrived, but didn't know the right time or play to bust it out.  Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how much I laughed and to see how into it they all got made me so happy!  We did have another meeting, lots more translation because the translator held the meeting, but still very pointless a day before we go on holiday break.  I also ventured to the Tamm center where you can pay your electricity bills and such.  This was very entertaining, we found out where all the Emirate men work and hang out in Mirfa.  I also discovered that a few mothers of our students work here as well.  It was back to school after that and then we were finally able to go home. 
12/12
LAST DAY!  I can't believe I made it until Holiday Break.  This time went by so quickly, I hope that the rest of the school year does the same.  Today was the best day for a few reasons, one we played HeadsUp for hours, I recorded the best video of one of our teachers falling to the ground while trying to act something out.  You may think it's rude of me to think someone falling is funny, but she tripped on her Abaya and slow motion fell to the ground, she didn't hurt herself, and I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard.  Chauntell was the person guessing that round and she guessed falling, which made us laugh even more!  I saved the video and will be posting it on Facebook.  We also played a few rounds of Uno.  Playing HeadsUp made me miss playing it with the staff at Visitation.  All I had to do was start playing with one or two people and whoever walked into the staff room would join in!  I also miss playing with Daniele in my apartment.  She would come over to watch some TV, fall asleep, then I would wake her up and tell her she needs to go back to her apartment, but she would always ask to play HeadsUp.  We would end up playing for an hour!
We were able to say goodbye to our HoF :(.  We pitched in and got her a camel figurine to remember her time in the UAE as well as remember us and to say thank you for all that she did.  We were made to stay until 12:45 to leave, but as soon as 12:45 hit, we peaced out and hit the road back home! 
12/13
I am sitting on my couch right now, watching a fireplace on my TV while listening to Christmas music.  It is the weirdest feeling to not be in cold weather during the holidays.  I miss the rain and the cold weather.  I have been looking at the weather reports back home and seeing how cold it has been.  I noticed last night that it says rain for tomorrow, I looked at the precipitation and it said 100%, this made me chuckle out loud, only in Washington would it be a 100% precipitation, where as here it would say 100% humidity.  The rest of the day will involve my very first desert safari, filled with dune bashing, traditional food, camel rides, and lots of other things!  Stay tuned for part two of 12/13, in the mean time, enjoy the pictures.
Rebecca orders the coolest things!


SOOO excited for Callie and Scott!  Congrats!

Teachers, we come prepared!

Lamborghini on it's way to the Camel Festival!

Love these two!

My Uno crew (left-Pepper, Center-Chauntell, Right-Nina)

No comments:

Post a Comment