Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Well That's New......

Alright, it's been a really long time since I've last blogged, and for good reason, most of which I won't get into.  Let's just say when my dad says "things can only get better" that is the biggest lie I have ever heard!
I am currently watching one of my favorite episodes of FRIENDS, the one where Monica and Rachel lose their apartment.  This show totally makes me forget all the ridiculousness that happens at school each day.  
So this blog entry will not entail school stuff, instead I will list some things I thought I would never see, hear, or experience while living here:
*crosswalk signs that have an outline of a man in a Kandora
*Camels in trucks
*Camels walking along side the road
*Camel beauty contest
*Men walking along the side of the highway waiting to be picked up by someone
*Flashing your headlights to get someone to move to the other lane (I regularly do this)
*Having to get a license for everything (residency, driving, medical, alcohol, school- all separate)
*Being put in front of a HUGE line of men even though you just arrived to the line (huge plus)
*Being stared at, not just normal stares either, I'm talking take a picture and save it, it lasts longer type of staring
*Going up onto the sidewalk to avoid speed bumps
*Cash machines only dispensing 100AED and then businesses look at you all pissed off when they have to break it
*The loudest children ever, seriously when they all yell it is deafening and I'm pretty sure I have hearing loss
*Men just slowly walking across the highway with cars going in excess of 100 MPH
*Never knowing how much you love something until you don't have access to it (i.e. real Mexican food, being able to get American products)
*Hearing a prayer throughout the country 5 times a day
*Walking outside when it's 113 and saying out loud, it's not that hot
*Communication doesn't happen here
*Learning to communicate with gestures and different words

And that's about all I can think of at the moment, enjoy the pictures!

Getting better each time!!

So since they like to give these 4 & 5 year olds deflated balloons (choking hazard right?) my busy bee drew a picture of me and said "Teacher, this you!" and then laughed and laughed!

They made the mistake of telling the EMTs it was PJ Day!  

Denise and I cheering on the West's kickball team!  They won!  (yes she knows it is upside down)



No comments:

Post a Comment