Monday, July 7, 2014

That's a Wrap!

Graduation took place on June 23rd.  We had been practicing for this for the past couple of weeks.  The English teachers were in charge of teaching the kids a song in English, which took them all of one hour practicing to pick up and we were finished.  Since the kids pretty much stopped coming to school, we were only really able to practice with the ones that did.  Because of this, on the last day before graduation, we had all students in attendance for practice and the ones that had not been there at all were actually able to pick up on our song pretty quick.  Also, a few days before the kids had to try on their graduation gowns.  They were very beautiful (purple and gold which are my college colors woohoo!)  I felt an rush of sadness when they were all dressed, I honestly didn't want to see them go..... The morning of graduation consisted of a play area filled with mothers, siblings, aunts and grandmothers.  Our kids totally rocked graduation, they knew exactly what do to and were sitting so patiently during the ceremony.  When we preformed our English song, they killed it!  Our cluster manager even recorded it and shared it with his coworkers because he was so impressed.  After graduation, all the mothers piled into our tiny classroom for cake and gift giving.  Most students brought gifts for their classmates and some even brought gifts for me!  I received a tea set, coffee pot, Moroccan tea glasses, Arabic perfume, and an ABC light.  Such thoughtful gifts, and the kids were so excited to give them to me.  I was completely exhausted after graduation that when I got home, I passed out for a good 4 hours!  
Since graduation, we haven't done a whole lot at school, I've been watching at least a movie a day in the staff room.  I also venture into my classroom to see is Amani needs any help, I was able to pack all my stuff up in 45 mins and so all that's left is her stuff.  Today, I was summoned to the principals office with my co-teacher.  I was thinking it was to discuss if we would be teaching KG1 or KG2, but boy was I wrong!  There was a parent in the office who was upset that her son didn't have all A's on his report card.  First of all let me explain something, the way the big guys have set the outcomes, is pretty much impossible for our kids (receive little to no English language at home) to accomplish and the way the program calculates grades is skewed.  We are to grade students on emerging (E), Developing (D), or Mastered (M).  However on their report cards it calculates out to a letter grade.  So, I explained to the mother and the principal that if I give 2 or 3 E's, it brings their grade down, however I am required to grade them on the outcomes that are set in place.  I also explained that these outcomes especially for the third trimester are very very difficult (wanting them to read and write, Bahahahhahha).  That explanation apparently wasn't good enough because I was asked to change his grades.  Sure, I'll change them, however when he gets to university and fails out, I would love to tell everyone I told you so!  All the English teachers were talked to by the principal who insisted that the top 8 students in our class receive the same grades.  My response was, but they don't learn the same!  I give up, I can't believe I am 1) being asked to change grades and 2) being told that the top kids should all have the same grades! 
I cannot believe my first year here is almost over.  I have made some incredible friends I consider family now, I've learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of both professionally and personally and I can't wait for next year to start!  Bring it on Abu Dhabi, I'm as ready as I can possibly be for the unexpected!
We have 3 more days and I hope that in those 3 days I get my flight allowance so I can purchase my ticket to New York.  Since I haven't received it yet, I made the decision to cancel my South Africa trip :(.  I will be doing that trip hopefully next summer before I come home. No rhyme or reason as to why we didn't get it though....  
Enjoy the pictures!




I love my Busy Bee's face in this picture!

To start graduation, they paraded around in a circle to parents could take pictures



Her dress was hand beaded at the top and very heavy, she looked like a bride!

The gifts I made for my students, I had a picture with almost every student that I put on the cover....

Inside the booklet was their work from trimester 2 and 3.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow ! Those kids look so amazingly cute! Wish i was a kindergarden teacher!Pity about their grading system though!Kids shoud get grades they deserve.

    ReplyDelete