Monday, September 23, 2013

Next Please!

Today started bright and early, I had to be downstairs for a quick breakfast by 6 in order to get to the bus on time for my medical exam.  I have been waiting for this day to some since I arrived 10 days ago.  I honestly feel like I have been here for longer, I even woke up the other morning and forgot I was staying in a hotel, I thought I was still at my parents' house and that Moe was laying right next to me.  
I video chatted my best friend before I headed downstairs for breakfast.  She was at her parents house for her grandma's birthday.  It was nice to see and say hi to everyone.  I was also able to see Isabelle (my God Daughter) ride a bike WITHOUT training wheels!! I was so proud of her, she is growing up so fast!  
After my quick breakfast, I was loaded into a van with about 12 other people (3 of which were on the plane with me) and a representative from ADEC.  We headed to get our medical exam, while I was sitting in the waiting room waiting for my number to be called, I wondered if the United States does something similar for foreigners who come to work.  My number was finally called, I handed over my passport, visa, and appropriate paperwork to the gentlemen sitting on the other side of the desk.  There was minimal words exchanged between us, he told me to take off my classes and sit back and look at the camera.  He gave me my paperwork back with the appropriate stickers attached and I headed into another waiting room for women only.  At first when I experienced the women only separation I thought it was strange, however being in a different country, I find it quite pleasant.  I played musical chairs with the other women in my group until I landed in the "next" seat.  I went into a room with a female doctor who took my blood pressure, listened to my heart and lungs, looked at the back of my knees (don't even know what those are supposed to look at, who looks at the back of their knees?!?!), and had me push and resist her with my arms.  I ended up having slightly high blood pressure (hello stress of being in a different country!), but was passed on to the next part of the test.  The next part of the test was a blood sample, the woman who took my blood did a very good job, minimal bruising if any actually compared to the massive bruises others had.  I was also given a cup to pee in.  Let me tell you something, guys have it so easy when it comes to peeing in a cup, there is no sanitary way for a woman to pee in a cup!  Sorry if that is too much information, but deal!  I dropped of my pee and sat in line for my chest x-ray, that was quick and easy!  I got back into the van where they took us to get fingerprinted for our emirate ID.  This was also separated into male and female.  We went behind a curtain where we did not have to play musical chairs, however we did need to wait for our number to be called.  The lady that was taking my fingerprints was very kind.  Another lady there was irritated at her though because she had turned off the air and she was hot.  Even though I could not understand what they were saying, I knew exactly what they were talking about.  After fingerprints we surrendered our passports, visas, and medical paperwork to the ADEC representative and they took us back to our hotel.  
I came back to my room and passed out!  I slept hard, which was so nice! I guess the unknown can do a number on your body!  I ventured to Lindsey's room where we watched the Today Show and waited for the other girls to get "home".  I ventured to LuLu's for dinner with the girls.  I tried the chicken shawarma which is Lebanese food.  This is what it consisted of: pita pocket with a type of yogurt based sauce in it, dill pickles, lettuce, rotisserie chicken that has some sort of delicious seasoning on it and french fries.  This piece of food was absolutely delicious!  I just had one, but could have easily eaten 3!!  It is ridiculously cheap as well, it was only 5 AED which is $1.36!  I will be going there tomorrow and getting more of that deliciousness!  
I video chatted my parents and got to see my mom put on her makeup and my dad eat a delicious taco salad!  There isn't any Mexican food here and boy to I miss that!  They are supposed to be going to the base with my brother today to get an iPad so they can video chat with me and I can video chat with Moe, yes I cannot wait to video chat with my dog!   
I have not seen any form of censoring since I have been here, MTV does not sensor the words in songs here, which is interesting.  I witnessed my first censoring today though!  I was watching CNBC (channels are very limited here in the hotel) and they were talking about BBQ and all of a sudden the screen went blue with a note saying "We are unable to show this footage due to broadcast rights issues".  They were showing ribs (pork) which is not allowed here, please look this up because it is very interesting when it comes to their beliefs on the subject.  Enjoy the pics!

Justine and her dad Dave

Isabelle sleeping

censoring

 

1 comment:

  1. We are enjoying reading about your adventure! So exciting! Question...what happens if someone does not pass the medical exam? That would be so stressful.
    The video of your "new Home" was very interesting too.
    Thanks for sharing. We are really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete