Friday, September 27, 2013

So Long Abu Dhabi, Hello Western Region!

Well a lot has happened in the past two days.  I will back track and write about yesterday.  Thursday started out with breakfast as usual, only this time Lindsey and I had Rebecca with us!  She took the day off of being a sub so she could go to the doctor and figure out why she wasn't feeling well.  We hailed a cab (so fun to do!) and headed to a local hospital which turned out to be en entire city block!  Our taxi driver wanted to know where he should take us because it was so big, Rebecca explained to him, after being in shock as we all were at how big the hospital was, that she needed to see a doctor because she was sick.  So he took it upon himself to give us a little tour of the hospital as he was driving us to our destination.  He made sure to point out where the "people go to die" to which Rebecca said oh, don't take me there!  We all got a laugh out of that, even our taxi driver.  I am assuming the place he was pointing out was in fact the morgue or a hospice type place.  Anyway, we all got a great laugh out of it.  We entered the facility and they took Rebecca right away, asking what was wrong, put a bracelet on her and sent her to the ladies only waiting room.  Lindsey and I tried to sit on the men only side and were quickly stopped by the security guard and pointed in the correct direction.  It really didn't take as long as I thought it would being a walk-in type situation.  She came out with a diagnosis of bronchitis and was given some stuff to help her feel better.  
We stepped out into the heat, it was hot by this time, not so much humid as just straight sun hot!  I hailed us a taxi (love doing it!) and he stopped in the street which was totally not safe, but cars just went around him!  We told him we wanted to go to a shopping center in town so Rebecca and Lindsey could get their abayas.  That was a quick trip and we were back into the taxi!  Oh, I forgot to mention, I did my first haggling at this shopping center (you can do it at this one, but not at the malls).  Rebecca was looking at a ring and she had used all her cash to pay for the abayas, I said I had cash she could borrow, however I only had AED 20 and the ring was AED 30.  I asked him if he would take 20 and he shook his head no and said he could do 25, I told him all I had was 20, sorry and started to walk away and he finally agreed to AED 20.  I was so proud of myself!  
Back at the hotel, I started to pack because I was leaving at 10:30 the next morning for the West.  Casey came back from school and we headed to the mall, I went to Starbucks and it was amazing, I am not too sure why I was so nervous to go, but I ordered my regular drink and the guy even spelt my name correct on my cup!  I have no figured out if they take my gold card yet, I didn't want to ask and be shot down, I'm weird like that.  I also have anxiety when it comes to using coupons, totally irrational anxiety, however what if they tell me it's not working or they won't accept it.  Anyway, that was a random rant!  We met a few friends (a Canadian and some Irish folk) for dinner at a noodle house which was amazingly delicious!  I had some sort of noodles with chicken and shrimp.  We decided to head to Porters for the evening which is a British pub next to our hotel.  We hung out with the Irish(we wondered earlier if they refer to us as the Americans....).  They were playing American music and when Thrift Shop came on, I stood up from where I was sitting and watched everyone dance to it, so awesome!  I retired to my room, smelling of cigarette smoke (they are allowed to smoke in bars, NOT OK!).  
This morning I met Rebecca for breakfast.  I sure am going to miss that buffet, delicious food of all types!  Rebecca helped me take my suitcases down to the lobby where the Nirvana guy was waiting for me.  The van they had for myself and one other person in the hotel could seat about 20 people.  They also hired a truck for our luggage, which seemed like such a waste, but oh well.  We stopped to pick up another teacher at another hotel and were on our way, the 3 of us in a 20 passenger van and a truck for our luggage.  
On our drive to the Western Region, we drove past the Grand Mosque which is breathtaking!  I have not visited it yet, however I will do that soon.  Along the way, I was listening to my music on my phone on shuffle.  The songs I have on my phone are VERY random, some for school, personal, Christmas, etc.  I kid you not, a song would come on and it would instantly strike a memory of someone in my life or that was in my life.  I started to get teary eyed when the song Gone, Gone, Gone came on because it reminded me of my mom.  During the summer, on one of our many trips to Costco or Target, that song would come on and she would sing it.  It also made me thing of all the friends I've made, it is so crazy to think how close we have gotten in just 2 short weeks, 14 total days,  and 336 hours.  We have all tried to make on another feel at home whether it be accompanying someone to the mall, doctor, hanging out with someone in their room listening to music, or playing Heads Up.  At that moment I realized just how truly blessed I am.  
The President's Rap came on as well, I immediately thought of my first class and how they rocked this rap and had so much fun with it.  My second class rocked it in their own way as well, and I immediately thought of Thomas yelling "woo!" during the chorus.  My last 5th grade class had so much fun with it also and my first second grade class did such an awesome job!  I will never forget having all the previous 5th grade classes join my second graders in singing the song, and most of them remembered ALL the words still!  I hope that my Kindergarten students give me the same enthusiasm I had from my previous classes!
So on the ride out West, I had my eyes glued to the sandy landscape in search of a CAMEL!  I have become obsessed with these magnificent creatures, they are beautiful and graceful in their own way.  As I was watching for one, I started to see what I thought were puddles of water, well I'm here to tell you that mirages are in fact real!  There was no water, it was just sand when I looked back, totally weird!  After we stopped for gas (BTW, it is super cheap here!), we were entering the highway again and a blue Dodge pickup truck went zooming past us, I happened to see what was in the bed of the truck, a CAMEL!  The camel was just sitting down enjoying the ride, I could NOT believe what I saw, I couldn't even get a picture of it because it went so fast, but I saw it!  I cannot describe how that made me feel, and I have no clue what I am going to do when I see one walking past my classroom window, or walking along the highway!  The hotel we arrived at is beautiful, it is called Mirfa Hotel.  It sits on the Arabian Gulf which is the most beautiful aqua color!  We have an outdoor pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, a kids jungle gym, and our own beach access.  I am excited to put my feet in the water tomorrow!  When we arrived, we had a bit of trouble checking in(paperwork problems), but that was all fixed and in the mean time we were treated to a gorgeous buffet style lunch overlooking the Arabian Sea.  I noticed I had a roommate when I entered my room, the cutest little thing!  This hotel is very different from the other I was staying in.  It is definitely not as high tech as the other one, I have to manually switch on the lights (ugh.....JK!).  At my previous hotel I had touch pad that controlled the lights as well as being able to call for laundry, maid or room service.  However the view from my balcony is breathtaking and I have a slightly larger fridge than at the other hotel.  Well, I am headed to bed now!  Enjoy the pics!
Starbucks!

yummy noodle, chicken and shrimp dish

Casey and I

Lindsey, Casey and I

Lindsey and I

Casey and Lindsey

British telephone booth!

Nick, Lindsey, Casey and I

The landscape on my way to the Western Region

From the hotel lobby, Arabian Sea just past the pool

Delicious and cute treats!

My roommate, I will call him squish and he will be mine :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Love the roommate! We have that President's Rap on our Itunes. We joke that it reminded us of you. And I'd say to them "she is right across the street most the time...go visit her" Well it came on the other day and I couldn't say that. =( But we are loving your blog and the pics.

    ReplyDelete