Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wait, is This Really Happening?

The start of Sunday in Abu Dhabi starts every one's work week.  That will definitely take some getting used to, but I have been feeling like a retired person since mid-August, so I haven't really known what day it was.  Anyway, the day started off with a decadent breakfast buffet that filled me up until about 6!  I haven't tried camel's milk yet, but I am sure I will try it this morning.  Some friends that I met said they tried camel's milk ice cream and said it was delicious!
We had our first orientation at 10:45, we sat front and center so we could absorb all the information that was being given to us, and to get an unblocked view of the speaker ;).  We were given lots of good information regarding housing, banking (we signed up) and were given deals by car rental places, mattress stores, and appliance and furniture stores.  The orientation only lasted maybe an hour and then we were free for the rest of the day.  I tagged along with Rebecca (from Florida) and Casey (from Mississippi) to LuLu's to get some "underwear" aka long shorts to wear under our skirts so we don't chafe (white girl problems!).  We then ventured back to the hotel and back to the mall again to just take in all the mall has to offer, there are two levels below ground, and three or four above that!  I think in the 3 days I have been here and the 6 times I have been to the mall I have finally seen every single store!  I was able to purchase some flats and a new purse since the strap on mine was wearing away and looked tacky. I almost forgot to write about the most important part of my day.  It came between going to LuLu's and going back to the mall.  In our hotel lobby we have a small coffee shop, there are comfy chairs with pillows set on red carpet where you can sit and have coffee or tea and also smoke, there is a nonsmoking section which is located on the other side of the doors, however it is set away from prime people watching real estate.  We decided to grab a coffee and a CRONUT!  These illusive pieces of heaven are only found in two places in the world, the first place is the Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York, New York and HERE in Abu Dhabi in MY hotel lobby!  I first encountered this piece of heaven when Cindy came to pick us up and take us to dinner, she mentioned that our hotel had them, pointed them out and my eyes about popped out of my head!  I cannot tell you how much I have wanted to try one of these pieces of heaven, yes I will keep referring to them as pieces of heaven because that is what they are.  I ordered myself a vanilla latte and cronut, I didn't care how much it cost, I would have sold my arm for one. We decided to sit in the tent located right next to the coffee stand.  the couches were low to the ground and the floor was covered in carpet.  The vanilla latte was absolutely amazing, the right amount of sweetness and coffee combined.  The cronut was also amazing and everything it was cracked up to be and more.  I WILL be getting another one. 
I stayed in my room the rest of the night unpacking my suitcases finally and watching some FRIENDS on my computer.  Tomorrow we are supposed to hear about when our medical exams will take place, that should be interesting!
Mini Eggs Benedict, Chicken egg rolls, scrambled eggs, tortilla like thing with creamed lentils in curry sauce



Our coffee tent (Left-Casey Right-Rebecca)
Paris Hilton makes handbags?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colleen! My name is Becky and I'm currently in the waiting phase of heading over to Abu Dhabi. It's been fun reading your blog and I cannot wait to join you all there! This is random but very important - I've been dying to try a cronut so I'd love it if you could tell me which hotel you stayed at so I could buy and devour one from the coffee shop that you mentioned! Thank you so, so much!

    ReplyDelete